Saturday, July 19, 2008

I Miss the Wheaton Bookstore

Figures.

I had to go to a non-Christian bookstore to pick up the book I wanted. NT Wright was nowhere to be found in my local Christian bookstore. Their paltry theology section had titles such as "Why I'm a Baptist" and looked anemic next to the Christian romance and apocalyptic-themed fiction. On the other hand, I know where to go if I ever want to plaster my walls with puppies, inspirational Kinkade calendars, preview Avalon CDs, or eat Testa-mints (for those who want to preach the Gospel but have bad breath).

I don't know if I should laugh or cry.

2 comments:

Ariah said...

Sad. But, it does make me appreciate some of the things Wheaton offered.

Angel said...

yes! this is so true. i buy my books on amazon now (cheaper than wheaton's bookstore). i made the mistake of trying to find a good book about the theology of sexuality at a christian bookstore around here once. while i did find something like, "men are crockpots and women are toasters," i had to turn to amazon and borrowed books to really learn. it is sad. i'm praying for revolution in "mainstream" christian media.