Saturday, May 19, 2007

"Christians, like slaves and soldiers, ask no questions."

Thanks Jerry Falwell, for that quote.

I spend too much time on Facebook.

I was recently invited to join the group, "Christians Standing with Israel." I wanted to post on the wall, without actually joining the group, since I certainly didn't agree with "unconditionally support" of Israel. However, I gave in just to make a post that gently stated the following:

- Christians should not just blindly support Israel based on religious ties and proof-texting.
- I challenged them to consider whether the secular nation-state of Israel is the same as the one mentioned in Scripture.
- I asked whether we should support Israel even when it goes against Biblical values like justice.
- Though I supported Israel's right to exist, I asked whether Israel had the "right" to oppress many of its own citizens who are even Christians, bringing to light the fact that there are such things as Arab Christians in the Middle East.
- I stated that if people had come to whatever conclusion they have through thoughtfulness, then I respected that, but challenged them to investigate more, mentioning Dr. Burge's book "Whose Land? Whose War? What Christians are not Being Told About Israel and the Palestinians."

Mind you, this was done in a non-threatening and gentle way. Just out of curiosity (and my Facebook addiction), I visited the group again today to see if there were any responses, but the moderators of the group felt it necessary to remove my post.

Granted, Christian Zionism bothers me, especially when if it blindly encourages the humanitarian abuse and injustice towards countless others, Christians and Muslims alike. However, when dialogue is stiffled so that a certain view or ideology might be presented without blemish or challenge, it makes me wonder if people value finding truth or if they just want to hear their own views supported with what they like to hear.

Of course, I already know the answer to that question... and I myself am not free of it. But for God's sake, Christians, at least *try* to fight it...

No comments: