Sunday, May 13, 2007

Lots of "craps", but not so many giggles. (A treatise, and a thought.)

A treatise:

Given the general Evangelical cultural norms, I feel like I need to justify my use of "profanity" to my brothers and sisters who do not necessarily feel the same way I do. It's a multi-faceted argument, one that I don't want to spend a lot of time on, but will throw out there so that you might have at least a general sense of where I stand on this, and not think that I've gone apostate for imbibing in an Evangelical taboo.

- First is the emphasis on loving our neighbors. Anything, whether it is labeled as a curse word or not, if said in anger, is out of the question. If you like labels, I'm advocating for the label, "spirit of the law."

- Second, words are contextual. They are fluid. Different contexts grant different meanings to words. They same four letters are not the same across different spheres or circles. There is a complicated interaction where the word itself has a historical meaning, then has a cultural context, then an intended use, as well as a perceived meaning by the receiving parties. Care needs to be taken especially with the perceived meaning, given Paul's pleading for us not to cause anyone to stumble in Romans 14, hence the explanations of my actions. However, not causing anyone to stumble needs to be balanced with simple mindless appeasement.

- What's the difference between Christian curses such as "frick, shoot, darn" and normal curses? They are used the same way, often in the same context.

- I am fully aware and agree with "let no unwholesome thing come out of your mouth" and our words and actions being the overflow of our hearts, as well as blessing other people with our words. However, this is not to say we should muffle an expression of frustration, especially when darn or shoot just doesn't encapsulate the depth of our emotion. Which leads me to the next point...

- Cursing, if used, should be used sparingly and intentionally. If used loosely, it loses its ability to emphasize and highlight. Therefore, when used in the proper context for the sake of emphasis, I find the carte blanche prohibition against cursing, among other things, to be quite simplistic.

- Paul curses. In Philippians 3:8, when he talks about considering all things to be "rubbish" for the sake of knowing Christ, it is a consensus among Biblical and Greek scholars that the term "skubalon," which we translate to be "rubbish," is actually more accurately translated as "human excrement" with the same offensive connotations to that audience that we would attribute to the word "shit" today.

Given all of the above, this does not mean I always flawlessly abide by what I believe. But it does mean that I do not say what I do carelessly and without thought. I am not looking for vindication from my brothers and sisters, since it is the Lord who I am trying to please. But I am not unaware of the issue... which honestly, given the severity of many other things, (oh I don't know, like love, justice, redemption, peace, etc), I don't think is quite as big as a deal as some make it to be. I could quote Campolo here, but I won't push my luck.

Don't think that I don't love Jesus just because I have made a conscious decision to season my life with selective colorful language :). And for the sake of respect, for those to whom it is offensive, I will censor myself.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

A thought:

We are so fragile. In our youth, when our bodies are well, we hardly give them a second thought, putting our vessels through abuse thinking that we are invincible. But something so tiny as a microscopic virus can put us through a very keen awareness of our fragility as humans. It reminds us that we are neither impervious nor superhuman, and that our bodies are so tied with who we are and our wellbeing. It humbles us to recognize that our being is in Christ, and that we are so dependent on He who holds us together. As I was reminded during stressful finals week, and as I was reminded by yesterday's Mexican food, lots of shits do not make for lots of giggles.

My HNGR friends, third world amoebas and parasites are going to add a very realistic and important dynamic to our internships.

The Lord will be our strength in ways we've never experienced before... quite holistically, if you catch my floater. I mean drift.

Hellllooooo Pepto.

1 comment:

Peter Chang said...

Well said...though I can't say I agree with every single thing...but whatever~
As for parasites...you might be having an easier time compared to other HNGR peps...since you'll be in one of the 10 largest cities in China...Tianjin, baby! I look forward to seeing you there in August!