Monday, May 14, 2007

What am I, tech support??

Well, I thought I would make a departure from the normal fare to present you with.... [insert trumpet fanfare here]... how to make Bootcamp work with a newly installed hard drive on your 13" Macbook using SuperDuper as backup!

(Woah there, don't get too excited. But this is for posterity's sake... so Google search, snatch this sucker up for all those other poor folks like me who got stumped, so that they won't have to go through the same thing I did.)

Best way to install a new hard drive on the Macbook:

1. Buy new HD. (I got a 160gig Seagate drive to replace the 80gig Seagate drive that came stock with the Macbook). Sorry Apple, your upgrades are too expensive.

2. Get an external enclosure to house the drive, which can also be used for the drive that's been swapped out as a handy dandy external. I personally got this one. Looks nice, sturdy, and has worked well, at least so far. It's a USB2, but it does the job.

3. Get SuperDuper. It's an amazing free Backup program for Macs. It makes a bootable clone of your drive, and neatly copies it onto the new drive, which means all you will have to do is physically swap the drive and start up the computer! No clean reinstalls, no bugging your friends for programs you no longer have, no lamenting over the forgotten folder that you deleted.

Most of that info can be found online, since that's standard for swapping hard drives.

However, I could find precious little about how to get the new Bootcamp Beta 1.2 to work with SuperDuper. I figured I would remove the original partition on the old drive, make a clone on the new drive, plug the new drive in, update to Bootcamp 1.2 (with wonderful new drivers for the iSight, touchpad, remote, and soundcard!), and then reinstall Windows XP. But nope. After talking with a very nice gentlemen at the company who makes SuperDuper, he gave me the breakthrough:

Key thing they don't tell you: Not only do you have to format the new hard drive as Mac OS Extended (Journaled), but you have to go under "Partition" and set it as a GUID, or else Bootcamp will not work!!

But after I did that, everything should be dandy. Swap the new drive, open Bootcamp, and Windows XP away on your new larger hard drive :). It's installing for me as we speak.

My baby is now the epitome of perfection and all things beautiful.

Is it disturbing that I got a kick out of writing that? For all you Mac fanboys who still need to boot in windows, I hope that was helpful.

We will now return to you our regularly scheduled narcissism.

No comments: