Friday, May 18, 2007

Golden cows play in the speakers of my mind

I think we all need something to worship.

I don't find it a coincidence that music and poetry is saturated with different variations on the theme of love (or lack thereof, or the disappoints, hurt, etc.) It takes the means we have of deeper expression and combines it with the thing we are trying to worship, elevating it (whether or not it deserves to be elevated).

We all need something to worship, to give ourselves to, to depend on and take joy in. To love.

The difficulty for some of us is learning to worship the right thing, or rather, right Person. The difficulty lies in worshipping the right Person when other things and people are right in front of us... when the deep expressions of music, art and poetry encourage us to be idolaters and crown something or someone else lord.

We all need to worship. I desperately want to worship. The question is what, or who, am I worshipping?

No comments: